Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Career woman!

During my recent job interview, I had a question from my employer that veered me into making this entry. Of course, in making my resume, I included my past work experiences (which were rather misaligned) and added during my conversation with them that I had been a frustrated writer all my life. Sum up all of that and you get "Well, what is it that you really see getting yourself into?"

For the record, I put in a list of ten, my obvious and not-so-obvious career choices.

1.) Flight Attendant - merely stating the obvious, I enrolled for a degree in Tourism back in college just to be a cabin crew member. I remember when I was young, my parents' friends would come over to the house for dinner, and would always comment how tall I was for a kid my age and that I should be a flight stewardess someday. It doesn't take an expert to tell that the influence of adults on those years are like brands on cattle. You carry it all your life and your philosophies are ruled by it from then on. I did become flight attendant, and might I tell you that it is not just height they are looking for in the airline industry. They like teeth so much too. Oh, and big voices as well. Still, flying would still be in my top choices. Once a cabin crew, always a cabin crew.

2.) A writer - I did take the entrance test to get into the University of the Philippines, and my first choice was Journalism. I started scribbling my first poems in grade school and although I had written a lot in high school, I never had the nerve to have my writings published in the high school paper. I wanted to take writing up in college but needless to say, I failed my test with UP. (I skipped through the whole math test, I have a major dislike for numbers) Even so, I did take writing more seriously and got into writing for the college paper. After I graduated, I wrote for my companies' official publication and started this blog. I always wonder how it would have been, had I been able to pass my entrance exam and graduated Major in Journalism. I might have been the true to life Carrie Bradshaw.

3.) Fashion designer - Alongside my poetry notebooks, I kept a stack of drawing notebooks where I drew girls in fancy dresses. I started drawing my wedding dress when I was 7 or 8, and I haven't stopped eversince. I didn't think at that age though, that one could make a living out of designing clothes, for a child's known list of professions is limited to doctor, nurse, teacher, fireman and astronaut. My best friend in my elementary years (she was one of the richie rich girls in class) however, remembering my notebookfull of grade school haute couture, came over to my house one day and asked me to design a line of evening gowns for her 18th birthday. It wasn't my most glamorous, but it worked for her anyway! Sometimes I wish I paid more attention to my MOD magazines and AVON catalogues. Maybe they were then calling out for me to sit in line someday with the likes of Rajo Laurel.

4.) Architect/ Engineer - had I been born with a brain inclined to mathematical equations I would have taken up architecture or industrial engineering, but yup, I am just a big math blunder. But there was something about Legos that I just can't seem to shake off. I fell in love with drafting in high school and that too, gave me a hint that I might actually be fitting to be designing, in a different aspect, that is in line with interior design, architecture or industrial engineering. One may not believe it, I actually have "blueprints" for my dream houses together with my wedding gown designs.

5.) Painter/ Photographer - who in their sane minds would not adore a profession, that of a painter? It must be the most rewarding,yet effortless (I mean to say that, if one loves his job, then no work really is an effort) occupation in the world. Imagine just sitting down in front of a canvass and rendering whatever it is that inspires you at that moment, caring less about how paint smears your work clothes, because everybody understands what you do. And for sure,someone out there can relate to your work of art, and be willing to pay a price. (Given of course, you don't die first before your work gets recognized) Still! To be able to live off artistry, must be very enlightening to the soul. My paintings and photographs have yet to reach public eye, but for me to have done such nice pieces long ago and to earn praise of the few people who have seen it, is good enough reward for me. (I have an album of my works here in this blogsite.)

6.) Broadcast journalist - for as long as I can remember, I always read in the bathroom. And when I was younger, I would bring with me a copy of Tempo (it was the only English tabloid back in the 90's) and read aloud the news, in a very Angelique Lazo fashion. I don't know why my parents took no notice of this and never suggested I become a broadcaster. Maybe because when I was in grade school, I was a rather shy and timid girl, and was never aggresive. I actually still didn't speak my mind a lot in high school, but I knew I had perfect diction and I didn't "uh" or "ah" in between sentences. I put this in my list in remembrance of that little girl broadcasting live from the toilet. She could've done a great job.

7.) Opera singer - not just a singer, but an opera singer. And if I let myself,it may never be too late for me. I was quite of a dancer in my elementary and high school years, but I don't know what has become of my dancing talent eversince. I guess it never is too late to grow two left feet. I, however, took a fancy for singing in college and although I've been asked to sing pop and alternative songs in numerous occasions, I have had a secret desire to sing in an opera or in a broadway musical. My voice, on the other hand, is not educated, but it never hinders me from trying to sing Habanera from Carmen, when I am cooking or in the shower. 

8.) Basketball player - it must sound funny coming from me, but I have always been a basketball fanatic. Back when Alaska versus Ginebra were the fad, I fancied not on the hunky players, but on the sport itself. I love basketball, but apparently it has no liking of me. But then again, maybe all I need is a Milo Summer Sports camp experience.

9.) Firewoman - the closest to humane service and heroism I can ever get. To be able to save lives and property is job that is enough to earn your place in heaven.

10.) Jollibee crew - I may not sound original here because I share the same dream with another person. Fortunately for him, he got the experience, while I still dream about working behind the counter serving Yumburgers and Pancit Palabok and Jolly Kiddie Meals. The reason why I wanted to be a Jollibee crew?? Burgersteak every fridgin' day. (I still believe their "french fries" are cassava though.)






No comments:

Post a Comment